Saturday, January 23, 2010

Just Enough Time

Time: 23:01
Distance: 3.11 miles

That's all I got in this afternoon because during those 23 minutes Meagan's beloved Mini Cooper was broken into while at the main entrance of McAlpine. I started my warm up at 3:42 and returned to change my shoes in preparation for my 8 mile tempo run. That means I got back to the parking lot about 4:05 to find the car completely fucked. I quickly called the police on a Mecklenburg County Park officer's cell phone and the police arrived a short while later. The man whose cell phone I borrowed had been in the parking lot for about 10 minutes which means sometime between 3:42 (probably 3:45) and 4:00 the car was broken into.

I was parked closest to the bridge when maybe I should have selected a spot near the bathrooms. There were half a dozen people in the dog park and nobody saw a thing. A young group of three said they heard the glass breaking, but that was only after I told them the car's windows were shattered. At that point they realized what the loud noise was.

For whatever reason I didn't bring my bill fold with me so I didn't lose any credit/debit cards or identification. The thief, who was amateur at best, only made off with my cell phone. I'll give the guy/girl credit for having the balls to commit the crime in broad daylight in a very public area. However, I have to say that his/her methods were that of a low level repeat offender with little appreciation for James Bond style tactics. The dick decided it wasn't enough to break the driver's window and deemed it necessary to shatter the back window as well.

Question, why break both windows? Answer, because you're a joke and were getting pissed that all you got was a cell phone that can trace your whereabouts.

There are six windows on a Mini Cooper and two of them are completely gone. I would have posted pictures, but that whole missing cell phone thing poses a problem. The phone has since been turned off and hasn't been used to call or text anyone. He/she also took my Fuel Belt backpack that contained a shirt and a pair of sandals. Luckily, everything can be replaced.

The worst part is the hassle. I had to spend a decent amount of time speaking to Officer Saunders who filed a police report. I doubt anything will come of it. I missed the workout for the day as I didn't feel like running a pissed off 8 mile tempo run and feeling bad in the process. The car now needs to be fixed which means scheduling appointments and talking to insurance. I had to drive home with broken glass everywhere and it wasn't the warmest drive I've ever done.

It's time to regroup and tackle this one tomorrow.

No comments: