Monday, January 4, 2010

Week in Review

Time: 600:57
Distance: 85.02 miles

YTD: 35 miles

I'm content with the training this week. We have entered a new year and the desire to train for another marathon is high. I'm leaning towards running the National Marathon in DC near the end of March. Jeff hit me with the new training cycle that looks manageable, but will definitely be a challenge. When I toe the line for my next marathon, there is going to be no messing around. The goal is to run fast. I have two 'thons under my belt and was able to compete well within my abilities. It's time to see how fast I can run at the distance. The training is designed for a 2:20 to 2:22 performance. Who can say if that's possible, but I'm going to give it one hell of a shot.

My workout on NYE is indicative of my current fitness. I ran a controlled 5.66 mile continuous workout averaging 5:13 pace. The workout had me switching gears between 1ks and mile repeats. In the coming weeks my aerobic fitness will only get stronger, but hopefully not with the sacrifice of some speed. Ideally, I will run a half-marathon in the lead up to the National Marathon.

Here is a link that shows the 10-11 week build up to the race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you run Shamrock instead of The National, you'll get an extra day to train.  "I read somewhere that an extra day of training can shave as much as 9 minutes off your marathon PR"  - Coach Michael Scott, shortly after handing a jello shot to a runner at mile 20 of the Scranton Marathon.