Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Getting to Know Sayville

Time: 44:29
Distance: 10.47 km
Pace: 4:15/km
Map

I drove to Sayville, NY today after a showing in CT. I don't know Long Island all that well and have only run a couple of times when making the trek out. I arrived in Sayville and walked around the downtown a little, grabbed an apple fritter at Starbucks and scoped out potential running spots on the iPad. Sayville can be summed up as the type of town that can support a lacrosse store. I also discovered it's really flat.

I ran down and around the neighborhood that dead ends into the ocean. If you look at the map you'll see I ran down long streets and wound back and forth to fill the time. Some of the houses were amazing near the water and I wondered how many were affected by super storm Sandy. At one point I stopped and looked off into the sea and couldn't tell if it was high tide or if many of the boat docks had been destroyed. Maybe a combination of both.

The effort picked up at the end of the run, but I found it hard to get the pace to drop. I was forcing it a little too much to only hit just under 4:00/km the final couple of kilometers. I'm sure the long drive today didn't help my legs find their form.

No comments: