Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pimp Daddy Graddy

Time: 61:01
Distance: 8.01 miles
Pace: 7:38

Yesterday when I was finishing up the run I received a phone call from Pimp Daddy Graddy who is from the Torrey Pines/Del Mar area of San Diego. He wanted to know if I was interested in putting in some time on the feet in the morning and I suggested that we meet at the parking lot where Jilane, Owen and I had about a year earlier. Ms. Rodgers was kind enough to transport Meagan and I to San Diego last night which means we are currently in our fourth city on this trip (Santa Rosa, Palms Springs, Brea, San Diego).

The morning was drizzly so I prepared for the run with a jacket, towels for the Jag, and extra shirt and new computers in case we wanted to find Internet access at a cafe post run. We drove to the parking lot, I parked and then I proceeded to open the trunk. With my socks in hand I let out a "oh, shit. I'm an idiot." Meagan was curious as to why I was so upset and it was because I had forgotten my running shoes. I had driven to go running, yet I had forgotten my fucking running shoes! I was not happy. I'm still embarrassed for such a boneheaded move. Simply terrible. I quickly put a ring out to Graddy and asked him what size shoe he wore luckily he was a 10 otherwise I would have run in his shoes no matter what. He made a quick trip home, grabbed an extra pair of kicks and promptly was back at the parking lot to start our run.

Last year we went up the hill to the Torrey Pines Golf Course, past Scripps and then to UCSD. This time we went in the other direction and through the Del Mar community. The pace was easy and it was great catching up with Graddy and all that is happening in Providence these days. We were content to turn around at 4 miles and head back to the car. I returned the shoes which were a pair of Nike Alaris. I had never heard of them before but my man Ozzie Meyers gave them to Graddy at some point during his Nike gig. They weren't the best shoe I've ever put on but considering I was thinking about buying a pair of shoes off the next Schmo that walked by, I was happy to have them.

No comments: