Friday, January 16, 2009

When the Wind Blows, Why Choose Hefner?

Time: 61:01
Distance: 9.44 miles
Pace: 6:29
Splits:
7:39, 7:05, 6:34, 6:23, 6:11, 6:23, 6:12, 6:08, 6:02, 2:32 (for .44 miles at 5:46 pace)
Map & Data

I got off work a touch early this afternoon and headed up to OKC with Mr. Downard and Skolnick. Scotty was going to the ART/bone bender whose office isn't to far from Lake Hefner. I decided to tag along and get in a run while he was at his appointment. When I got to the lake I noticed that there wasn't a soul/sole in sight. Nobody was out walking, jogging or biking like they had been a few days prior. The weather was cold (20s) and windy (20 mph) which makes for piss poor conditions. I suited up and bit the bullet by running over the dam to start which wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. My fingers were definitely numb at times and the face was a bit tingly, but overall I managed. My legs felt fantastic and the lungs did too. I got a little frustrated running on the dam and at the first hint of having the wind at my back I took off. My stride opened up, the pace quickened and the body warmed.

I didn't want to slow the effort and I knew Scotty and Skolnick were going to be waiting on me so I didn't slow the pace. I finally saw a few other brave souls/soles near the golf course, but I think they were out there mainly for their dogs' benefit. The final two miles were rough as I had to run back into the wind but I tried to keep the pace about the same according to Mr. Garmin. The effort was definitely elevated, but I was more interested in finishing and needing to find some warmth.

No comments: