Friday, January 2, 2009

Throwing Down on the Santa Ana Bike Path

Time: 84:13
Distance: 13.02 miles
Pace: 6:28
Italic
Jilane, Meagan and I spent a good amount of time milling around the house before ever deciding to leave the house to do her workout. Coach Jailhouse Jeff wanted Jilane to hop in to Meagan's 6 mile tempo at 6:20s and she found a decent spot for us to run. The Santa Ana bike path wasn't the most scenic of venues, in parts it down right hideous, but it worked for what we were doing. We warmed up nice and easy in the cool OC temps. I was playing pacemaker on this day with slight hopes of doing something a bit up-tempo at the end of Meagan's effort.


We hit splits of 8:06, 7:42, 6:14 (for .77 miles or 8:03 pace) on our warm-up. My legs were feeling ready to roll and I was going to have a hard time to keeping things at 6:20 for Meagan's benefit. She was ready to "get things over with" and I tried to come back with a Coach Lake line about wanting to do the workout rather than having it be a burden. I don't think it worked, much like Lake's insight.

When things got underway our splits were 6:23, 6:34, 6:26, 6:18, 6:18, 6:10 for ~38:12 total. Meagan ran strong and I was trying to help by encouraging her to pick a spot on the road and make to closer points. Once she was done I picked up the pace and started throwing down some sub-marathon pace work and ran 3 miles with splits of 5:17, 5:19, 5:12. I felt smooth and I was trying to make every stride a bit more efficient than the previous one. My breathing was relaxed and I was happy how I was able to go from 6:10 to 5:17 without problems. I jogged the mile back to the parking lot in 6:38 and called it a day just around 13 miles.

No comments: